Monday, May 02, 2005

Ashtanga 11

Monday Morning - I was at the studio at 5:30 this morning after puja and some quick work with the stone Bucky, AJ and I charged Saturday in Chicago. I was quick to get started and worked my way through Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana before the chant began at 6 AM. I did 3 each of Surya Namaskara A & B which I feel is appropriate for daily practice when one is working on simply getting through the primary. Matthew adjusted me in Paschimottanasana B and I was able to get my head down to my shins.

I had a bit of trouble (as I have for the past few sessions) with Trianga Mukhaikapada Paschimottanasana. For some reason it's very tight and I can't seem to get the pain to move away. I will work on this in the CPRW classes this week. I need to regain my flexibility in the knees in order to perform this correctly with the knees brought together as I fold.

I required assistance (again) to get the bind in Marichyasana D, but I did get it and was able to straighten my back slightly. The trick is to get the foot into the crease between the hip and thigh and twist the foot to keep it out of the way during the twist. I ended with Navasana 3 times.

During my finishing sequence I was about to begin Padmasana when Matthew came over and asked about the positioning of my legs. He asked if I placed my legs the way I do because of my recent knee surgery. I laughed and said no, I folded my right over my left because that is what my other teacher instructed me to do. I laughed because I had, over the past six months, debated this with my other teacher and finally gave into the right over left. Matthew informed my that it was in fact left over right and then assisted me to bind in Baddha Padmasana which I had never been able to bind in before! Ha!

Matthew spoke with me briefly when I was on my way out and recomended that I not blame the other teacher because if it were not for her I would not be this far along in my practice. I told him that I don't blame people for things. I simply find it funny because it had been such a debate in the past. At least it was a big debate in my mind. Who knows if Liz even thought about it twice. I consider Liz, my "other" teacher, a good friend who I care for quite a bit.

No comments: