Monday, November 14, 2005

up north for the weekend

I have to say that this weekend was one of the best I have had in a while. On Friday evening J9 and I loaded up the dogs and headed up to the cottage. I was rather hesitant about going because there are so many things that need to be done on the house before winter sets in. But I let that go and embraced the chance to get away even if it was only for two days. We arrived around 9:30, unloaded the Element and settled in for the night.

Saturday, I woke up early, rounded the dogs into the Element and headed into town for supplies. As always, I bought way too much food. I also came across a "herd" of wild turkeys during a little stint off the main road. The dogs went crazy! It was really peaceful, rolling across farm land, watching the sun rise and listening to some Canadian station playing Kronos Quartet.

We returned to the cottage and I made breakfast. We then got a fire going and began the days task of burning leaves. I inhaled way too much smoke over the course of the day, but had a blast playing with the dogs and J9. There is something soothing about fire, it reminds me of the infinite campfire that I call home. Valhalla, whatever it is.

The weather was perfect, we listened to great music all day and raked and burned a ton of leaves. As the sun went down we wrapped it up and retired to a couple of DVDs and dinner.

The winds picked up during the night and when I woke to practice around 7:30 you couldn't even tell that we had raked. It was perfect as it gave the days work a kind of out of time feel. My practice was good. I had to move around a bunch of furniture in the cottage to get enough space to practice without cracking my head or feet into the brick work around the wood burning stove. I had a really rough time with getting Supta K. Matthew is always right there when I am going into it so I've not had the joy of going into it on my own. Whew!

The rest of Sunday was spent relaxing on the couch at the cottage. We watched the three Harry Potter movies to get warmed up for the release of the Goblet of Fire on Friday and ate way too much. We ate all day long and just curled up with the puppies.

It was a great and uncommon weekend! I have to say that I missed teaching my Saturday morning class. I can't wait to get to the studio tonight to teach my 6:30 class. I need my teaching fix.

No comments: