Monday, June 06, 2005

Feeling a little off…

Yesterday was the first non-Moon day / Saturday that I have not hit my mat since April!

Saturday, J9 and I worked on cleaning up the yard for her birthday party Sunday and in the process I was badly sun burnt. Of course, I also stayed up till 4 AM Saturday cleaning the house while J9 was spinning at the club. I’ve been good about getting a decent night sleep when she spins, but I couldn’t help it this weekend. There was a great deal of work to be done on the house to make it visitor friendly.

So with a sunburn and little sleep I woke at 7 AM Sunday morning to hit the yoga loft. We still had a ton of prep for the party to do and, based on the way I was feeling, I elected to get an early start on the cleaning rather than go to the loft. The party went off well. I think that J9 really had a good time and she deserved it. She has been extremely supportive of my practice and has put up with my yoga obsession fairly well. Though I disagree, she would probably call herself a yoga-widow. I guess she really will be when I leave for Mysore!

But, after all the apologist verbiage above, I still feel off due to missing practice yesterday. With today being a moon day, that make 3 days off in a row and my body and mind are REALLY felling it. I’m mentally and physically tight and sore. I think, in many ways, I’m still adjusting to being social without the lubrication of intoxicants and tobacco. The last party we threw at the house (2+ years ago) was a drunken orgy where one guest’s ribs were broken and I lit someone on fire. Yesterday, we actually had three 2 year-olds there! I guess that’s what happens when you, ahem, grow up.

In addition to the above, I was also horrible with my diet this weekend! I finished a 40 day fast 3 weeks ago and my body has not adjusted to my non-fast diet at all. I had been avoiding dairy products for the first two weeks post-fast, but last weekend I began to reintegrate some dairy without a reaction. This weekend though, I probably threw too much at my system. Friday, while working on the house we picked up some Mexican from Margarita’s, Saturday, while working in the yard we went up to 7-11 to get slurpees (caffeine and refined sugars) and yesterday all bets were off with a plethora of cake, cookies, Mexican bean dip, etc. Hey, it was a celebration, but I still feel like shit this morning. I am amazed that after all the abuse that my body handled with 20 years of drinking and smoking, that it has the audacity to react to dairy, sugars, and whatever chemical cocktails were in this weekends food!

I need to figure out what I’m going to do with my diet and get to it.

No comments: