Saturday, November 01, 2008

From Activating Ahimsa

I actually finished my article for the upcoming fall issue of PLAY Magazine. Angela and I wrote companion pieces on Ahimsa. I feel like I could expand on it quite a bit and maybe I will later. Here's a little paragraph. I elected to throw the slavery and slaughter in at the last moment. I think it hits right.

When contemplating Ahimsa or non-violence, we often have a tendency to focus on the lives of Gandhi and King and gloss over the immediate himsa, or violence, surrounding us. We are all connected to human and animal slavery and slaughter. We avoid this frank discussion because the information is so incredibly hard to look at. It can reach deep into core belief systems and many people, with good reason, rigorously defend their core.

No comments: