Thursday, September 28, 2006

This Is The Story Of....

How do you know your state of bliss is solid? When it carries you with smiles through a tire blow out on the Lodge 20 minutes before you’re supposed to teach at Karmanos! Crazy stuff, really. I managed to get the car off the expressway and onto the exit ramp but did so with this strange resolve and vibrant enjoyment of the experience. I may have blown a mental gasket but my thought process was “oh cool, this is gonna be neat, who knows what’ll happen next!” It was a real naïve, awe filled mindset. I called Kristine at Karmanos to let her know I wouldn’t make it to class, which is a bummer as my students at Karmanos are SO into their yoga. But, due to my experience I know what is possible and what isn’t, so I quickly found resolve and accepted that class just wasn’t going to happen. I’ll make it up to them with a free class next week. They are some of the best students I've ever had!

After getting off the phone I heard a strange sound coming from a black Hummer parked on the side of the road in front of me. It was a low and drawn out “heeaay.” I ignored it at first and then saw a hand waving me towards the window of the truck. The “heeaay” repeated a few more times as a walked up to find a can of fix-a flat tossed into my hands. The driver said in that low slow voice, “see if that works” and “see ya” as he quickly pulled away. Embracing the awe, I was struck slightly dumb and hollered that I would “pay it forward.” I got a “thumbs up” from the window. More proof that humans have potential. So through the rest of the gig joy prevailed, even when, for the life of me, I couldn’t get the tire off. Now, I’m no auto mage. I don’t know my way around an engine (unless it’s veggie oil running diesel) to save my life, but I can change a tire or at least I’ve always been able to, until now.

I’ve got a Mazda 3, it’s a nice car save the leather seats and the fact that it goes a little too fast at times. After plugging away at the tire change fruitlessly for a half an hour I called my Mazda service guy, Tony. Tony says, “why don’t you just call roadside assistance?” I explain to him that it’s just a flat and I should be able to change this tire but can’t get the thing off the car! He then shared the fact that these wheels tend to corrode and fuse to the nuts so you have to kick them really hard or hit them with a hammer! WTF? He advised again that I call roadside assistance, but I was having a good time with this little diversion and was determined to change my own tire. So I jacked the car back up and began kicking the tire as hard as I could, no go. This thing was truly fused. I tried hitting it with the crowbar as well, nothing. Rather than go crazy and knock the car off the jack I decided to just chill and call the roadside folks. How funny that we can’t change our own tires these days due to corrosion. I’ve never had that happen with any of my cars.

Luckily, I had one of my favorite concoctions in the whole world chilled and waiting for me in the car. I popped open a bottle of Kombucha, sat on the curb calling my Grandmother and making phone calls that I’ve been meaning to for a while. Catching up and watching this incredible storm roll in behind the burnt out buildings on Elmhurst.

When the roadside guy arrived he knew exactly what to do and began pounding on the old tire with the spare as hard as he could, without effect. After working this angle for a while he put down the spare and went to his truck to recover what looked like a 3” x 3” piece of lumber. It was about 3’ long. He took this and used it like a battering ram, pounding the hell out of the tire until there was a crack and the wheel fell off! Lesson learned: always carry large scraps of lumber in your trunk? I don’t know, I just find it funny that I was unable to change a tire on my own car. I mean have we tipped so far into a service culture that we’ve designed autos that mandate roadside service for minor repairs? I know it’s my conspiracy-based perspective, but damn, changing a tire is one of those things that brings joy, a sense of accomplishment, and strengthens the soul of the individual.

I know, I know, I’m being slightly tongue in cheek here, but it gets me thinking. I was in a real blessed and awe filled state yesterday and really enjoyed the whole experience but god forbid if I would have been in a bad mood! (Of course, I haven’t been in a bad mood for the past three months.)

This whole thing kind of brings to mind the Hash Brown Conspiracy. Why is it that you can’t get properly cooked hash browns anywhere these days? I mean, I remember when I was a kid, everywhere you went you got tasty and CRISPY, well cooked hash browns. Nowadays you practically get mashed freakin’ potatoes instead of proper hash browns! Oh, but that’s a crusade (read: tangent) for another day!

This whole escapade fueled an incredible class at House of Yoga! Man, do I love teaching at HOY! The place just fuels my fire and the students are wonderfully open and courageous. I consistently walk out of the studio on what they call, “cloud nine.” Thanks to Dave and Abby and all the students! You’re phenomenal!

This morning I’m writing from Discount Tire where they’re putting on a whole new set of tires. I was going to wait until November to get these, but oh well; I no longer struggle with balanced and tested necessity. Take the punches to roll with them and keep your finger on the trigger as wide eyed awe is always in season.

In Love and Light,
~Gregg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a cute ENT,, thanks for turning up the light so well these days !!!

Big Love & Awe,

Mira*