Friday, June 16, 2006

Yoga Stretches Research in New Directions

Ruth Piana recovered from cancer 15 years ago, and then promptly began traveling the world with her husband. When her lymphoma returned in 2000, it not only frightened the busy 78-year-old retiree, but also put a cramp in her style.

Suddenly she was sick and felt very tired from chemotherapy and radiation – and understandably, she wasn’t getting much exercise. About that time, she heard about an M. D. Anderson clinical trial for lymphoma patients involving Tibetan yoga.

The combination of breathing, movement and meditation met a strong need for Piana. “The beautiful part about the yoga was that it was slow and easy,” says the Pasadena, Texas resident. “It was not fatiguing at all. It was very pleasant, and it helped me get active again.” (read CancerWise article)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This lady, like the countless glorious others are the REAL Muses. I just printed this article off for my Grandma; I know she will deeply appreciate it since she is still doing Hatha/Pranayama even in her Fourth treatment of Chemotherapy. Sigh. She is a huge inspiration for me at to get up no matter what at 5:00 am to drag my lazy butt to the matt, I can here her voice in my head perfectly “ Mira, it’s time to get up for some sun salutations….you know you’ll feel better afterwards.”

She’s right, you are and the whole great community is…cause you do. Having a role model has always led me to a more enhancing walk along the path and now I see how penetrating the current is that has filled me a with gratitude for all the many ways I revere my Grandmother. Thank you for putting this information out there, good work. Thanks for letting me share.

Mira*