Sunday, January 15, 2006

fumbling about on a Sunday evening

I feel as though I am falling behind in this document. I think that I am finally settling in and getting used to moving slowly. In the default world I usually wake at 4:30 to practice, go to work at 8 am, stay there until 5 pm and either go to teach yoga or massage. On the nights I don't teach I have massage clients. I usually get to sleep around 11 or 11:30 and then start it all over the next day. I think for the first two weeks of being here I was simply recovering from the stress of my hectic schedule. I don't think that I can or should return to that schedule. Only getting 5 hours of sleep a night when I am as physically active as I am will probably cause a blowout if it is continued. I think I was pretty close to a blowout before I left the States. So I need to make a decision about what I am going to let go of in the next few weeks. I think that India has changed my priorities and I'm slightly concerned about how this is going to shape my life back home. I mean, there are certain foundational aspects that won't change, but aspects like my 9-5, my clients and my teaching are hard to nail down. Something's got to give, that is certain.

I'm sitting in the living room now, listening to the ipod trying to wind down from the mistake of a late night chai. I know I shouldn't have done it but the chai from the stand at the corner of contour and main is just so good I can't resist no matter the time of day. It's only 8 rupees for a large glass and the spice is just right. I'm going to watch Prasad's father (I forget his name at the moment) make it and try to get the exact science down before I come home. Another little slice of India I'd like to bring back. Anyway, tomorrow is my first day practicing at 6 am and I really do need to get some sleep so I'm set for practice. Today was the half way point for my stay here and I have to say that though it is going to be quite hard to leave Mysore I am looking forward to returning to J9, the puppies and my practice back home. This place has captured a huge part of my heart though and I don't think that I can now imagine my life without returning. I guess figuring out how to swing that is going to be a factor in the choices I mentioned above.

No comments: