Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Ashtanga 18

Well, I had my first little freak out about NYC this morning. I've calmed down a bit and would say that I'm simply excited now. I've only been practicing Ashtanga seriously for 6 months. I had a very vital vinyasa / hatha practice prior, but save my dedication (some would say obsession) I still feel quite new to Ashtanga and have only been through the whole primary series a couple of times. So, being the type of person I am, I sign up for 5 days of 6 AM full primary with Pattabhi Jois!

I'm sure I'll be fine but I keep having these little freakouts about what I am supposed to do if I hit a bump in the road. I mean I am still struggling with Bhujapidasana and Kurmasana and Garbha Pindasana and Kukkutasana are things I simply play with when I have extra time. I did my first Setu Bandhasana today. Yes, that's right, for the first time! I'm not as prepared as I'd like to be but I am sure there will be a wide array of experience levels represented at the Puck building. Pretty sure! :)

This mornings practice felt pretty good. H rolled out her mat next to mine and asked me about my tattoos. She seems very nice. Maybe I will get to know some of the people from the Loft a bit better while I'm in NYC. I have to remember to give someone my business card so that they have my cell phone number if anything of interest goes down. I ceratinly don't want to be clingy as I have my own NY agenda to keep up with.

Back to practice. I moved to finishing after a botched attempt at Bhujapidasana. I did balance on my hands for longer than I ever had before and kicked my legs out straight (Tittibhasana) for a moment. I do need to practice my Bakasana at some point. I then moved on to my finishing sequence paying special attention to Chakrasana (trying it twice). There was a new student in at the loft this morning so Matthew was working with her most of my time there so this is my 3rd day with minimal or no adjustments.

I practiced with Liz at noon today as well. J9 was with me and I always have a riot in class when she is there. She's always giggling and making faces! It lightens up my load quite a bit when she's there. I arrived early to work on Garbha Pindasana and Kukkutasana. I achieved Garbha with little effort but my back was simply not straight enough. I attempted to get the roll going to little effect due to the fact that my back wasn't straight. I attempted Kukkutasana from the rolls and simply kept missing it. I need more arm strength! Setu Bandhasana gave me a run for my money as well, but at least I now know how to properly move into it.

No comments: